Friday, October 1, 2010

Fluffernutter Sandwich

Don't adjust your monitor settings...
I was experimenting with the "antique" filter in iPhoto.

Mini food post!!!  This is one of those foods that is more on the kitschy side of my Venn diagram than the disgusting side, but (as with most things on interweb, and in life) your mileage may vary.

I'd heard of the Fluffernutter Sandwich before, but I'd never eaten one.  If you've never heard of it before and want a brief overview, there is a Wikipedia article on this particular sandwich here, but essentially, it is made by spreading a slice of white bread with peanut butter, spreading another slice with marshmallow creme (a.k.a.: "fluff"), and then sticking them together in a holy union of sandwichmony. 

I had always assummed that Fluffernutter sandwiches were from the 1950's because it seemed like such a quintessential Leave It To Beaver type of sandwich.  You know... a more innocent era when marshmallow creme was considered an acceptable sandwich filling.  However, after extensive research (otherwise known as "typing it into a search engine") I learned that the Fluffernutter sandwich is thought to have originated in 1914!  Who knew? There is an article about the history of the Fluffernutter sandwich here, if you're interested.

Anyhow, It tasted pretty okay.  It's similar to combining peanut butter with any other sweet counterpart (ie- honey).  I used Wonderbread when I made my sandwich, because it seemed like the right thing to do.  Oh, and guess what the main ingredient of marshmallow creme is?  Corn syrup.

I have to admit, I may have chosen this mini-recipe simply because saying the word "Fluffernutter" makes me snicker like a 12 year old boy.  Hee hee... fluffernutter.  (I'm a paragon of sophistication and maturity.)  It makes me think of one of those cautionary tales where the friend of a friend of someone's cousin moves to LA to become an actress and ends up working as a fluffernutter on a seedy basement movie set for 6 months. 

And on that charming note, here's the recipe!

It's a complicated process.
Fluffernutter Sandwich
2 slices white bread
peanut buttter
marshmallow creme

Spread one slice of bread with peanut butter.  Spread the other slice of bread with marshmallow creme.  Stick 'em together.  Cut off the crusts and slice in half diagonally.  Serve with a glass of milk.

1 comment: