Sunday, October 3, 2010

Metapost: I Don't Think You're Ready For This Jelly...



Ahem.  I was thinking that for the autumnal season, I should have a theme.  I mean, an additional theme on top of the Vintage Recipe theme and the Bad Cooking theme.   And what says Fail Fall more than jelly-moulded foodstuffs?  Nothing does! (Ok... probably lots of things say Fall more than gelatinized foods, but I'm going to pretend they don't exist for now.)


There are so many jelly salads and aspics in my recipe books, it would make your head spin!  So, for the next few weeks I'm going to showcase a different jelly-moulded something every week until the end of fall or until I get distracted by something shiny... whichever comes first.  I hope you're just as horrified and delighted by the prospect as I am!


Watch for my first one tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this blog, it is so highly entertaining. Also, what's even more impressive than your cooking skills is that you're able to then turn the bad dishes into something edible! Most would just take a photo, give up and toss it.
    I've been baffled by these gelatin salad things and such. What's funny is that I've been reading a book about Edgar Cayce, a famous "prophet" who would give prescriptions for people suffering from any kind of illness or disease and cure them, long before anyone in the medical field understood these diseases and found cures. What has come up twice - he actually recommended "gelatin salads" as a dietary aid. (This was in the early 20th century.) The reason being the gelatin actually "acts as a catalyst to increase natural absorption of vitamins in vegetables. Cayce said that with the Knox gelatin the vitamin intake from the vegetables was seven times what it would be ordinarily." I found that fascinating, so thought you might like to know that. Maybe Cayce propelled this food fad, and people just needed help with vitamin absorption back then. I'm still totally weirded out by the idea of veggies in jello lol. I think people only put fruit in jello these days? Anyway, love your blog, keep cooking weird old recipes! (and the peach frosteds story was hilarious btw)

    ReplyDelete